What is a Geriatric Evaluation at Swope Health?
A geriatric evaluation is a comprehensive evaluation designed to optimize an elderly person’s ability to enjoy good health, improve their overall quality of life, reduce the need for hospitalization or placement, and enable them to live independently for as long as possible.
What happens during a geriatric evaluation?
An examination of the person’s current status in terms of:
- Physical, mental, and psychosocial overall health
- The ability to function well and to independently perform basic activities of daily living such as dressing, bathing, meal preparation, medication management, etc.
- Strategizing proper living arrangements, social environments, and access to support services within our facilities
- An identification of current problems or anticipated future problems in any of these areas
- The development of a comprehensive “Care Plan” which addresses all problems identified, suggests specific interventions or actions required by our team.
Who benefits from a geriatric evaluation?
- Older adults who are worried about health or memory loss
- Adult children who are concerned about parents or other loves ones
- Caregivers of frail or ailing seniors
- Physicians who care for complex patients requiring multidisciplinary evaluation and management
Whether a patient needs additional in-home care or requires an increased level of social activity, SRGC’s staff can help to identify the best and most cost-effective resources available in the community including:
- Home-Health Care
- Senior Centers
- Medical equipment
- Adult day health care
- Mental health services
Additionally, our managers are available to provide supportive counseling for patients who are having difficulty coping with the impact of their medical conditions. We believe that our patients should have an experienced professional to turn to when they need help.
Family caregivers and non-family caregivers play an essential role in the ongoing health and wellbeing of our patients. At Swope Ridge, the Care Manager is dedicated to helping caregivers adjust to the challenges they face throughout the aging process. We offer education, counseling, and resource coordination.
How do I know if a geriatric evaluation is needed?
A request for geriatric evaluation is appropriate any time there are ongoing or periodic signs of:
- Memory loss
- Difficulty managing daily activities
- Difficulty performing familiar tasks
- Problems with language
- Falling or loss of balance
- Social isolation
- Caregiver Stress
Aren’t memory loss, confusion and difficulty managing daily activities just normal parts of aging?
Not necessarily. However, what looks like Alzheimer’s disease or dementia can be the result of medication interactions or other medical or psychiatric problems. The geriatric evaluation is so thorough that it is one of the best ways to determine what is or is not the actual cause of problems.
Who pays for a geriatric evaluation?
Medicare covers most of the cost of a geriatric evaluation and some supplemental insurance plans cover the rest. Private pay is also accepted.
How do I schedule a geriatric evaluation at Swope Ridge Geriatric Center?
Call us at (816) 333-2700.